SMALL CATS AND DOGS CAN RIDE THE TRAIN WITH THEIR HUMANS
OLYMPIA – Beginning March 7, small dogs and cats can join their owners on Amtrak Cascades trains for their next adventure.
“We recognize pets are family members and passengers want to bring them along,” said WSDOT Rail Director Ron Pate. “We’re excited to offer this option.”
Previously, only service animals were allowed on Amtrak Cascades trains. Small cats and dogs can now travel on Amtrak Cascades in accordance with the new pet policy.
Due to the sensitivity of other passengers, dogs and cats must meet the following requirements:
- The maximum weight including the carrier is limited to 20 pounds
- Owners can reserve a space for their pet for a $25 fee; limit one pet per passenger
- For the safety and comfort of all passengers, pets must remain in a carrier at all times and carriers must remain on the floor in front of the seat next to the passenger
- The maximum carrier size is 19 inches long, 14 inches wide, and 10.5 inches high
- Five pet spots are allowed per train and are allotted on a first-come, first-served basis
Pet reservations will be accepted for travel beginning March 7 and can only be made with a reservation agent at 1-800-USA-RAIL or at a staffed station. Pets are not allowed on trips to Canada and cannot be booked on trips lasting longer than 7 hours.
Traveling pets must be odorless and harmless, not disruptive, and require no attention during travel. Onboard personnel maintain the right to refuse acceptance of or remove from the train any pet exhibiting these issues. Onboard crews will work to accommodate any travelers with allergies or other pet concerns.
Amtrak Cascades service is funded by WSDOT and ODOT and operated via contract by Amtrak. Visit AmtrakCascades.com or call 800–USA–RAIL for reservations and information.
Amtrak Cascades operates four daily round trips between Portland and Seattle; two daily round trips between Seattle and Vancouver, British Columbia; and two daily round trips between Portland and Eugene, Oregon.