We offer the best baggage policy; four free items! The complete baggage policy is available at Amtrak.com.
TWO FREE Personal Items
Passengers may carry two personal items, 25 lbs. (12 kg) 14x11x7 inches each, such as small bags, backpacks, purses, laptops. Personal items can also include neck pillows, blankets and outer garments.
TWO FREE Bags
Each passenger may bring two bags; each bag weighing 50 lbs. (23 kg) or less, and measuring 28 x 22 x 14 inches or smaller.
Excess/Oversize Baggage Fees
Effective October 1, 2015, a $20 excess baggage fee will be charged for each carry-on and personal item above the quantity and size limits. A maximum of two excess bags are permitted per passenger. The fee will be collected at the station or if unstaffed, onboard the train. If checked baggage is available, passengers can check two bags free of charge to their final destination. Checked baggage is not offered on all trains and stations, so please check with Amtrak to see if checked baggage is available throughout your journey. Amtrak reserves the right to deny transport for items exceeding policy limitations.
- All baggage, both carry-on and checked, must be visibly tagged with your name and address. Amtrak staff has baggage tags available if you need them. Carry-on purses, briefcases, laptop cases, diaper bags, strollers, car seats, cosmetic cases, or equipment required for a medical condition do not need name/address tags.
- Once on board the train, carry-on bags may be stowed in overhead bins or baggage rack. Safety rules require that all bags be stowed in designated baggage areas and kept out of aisles, walkways, and vestibules. Please bring only luggage you can lift overhead without assistance. Baggage is not allowed in the Bistro and Lounge cars.
- Two pieces per passenger only, each of which may not exceed 50 lbs or be larger than 75 linear inches (length + width + height). Up to two additional pieces may be checked for an additional service charge of $20 per bag.
- Oversize bags between 75 and 100 linear inches can be checked for $20 per bag.
- All baggage, both carry-on and checked, must be visibly tagged with your name and address. Amtrak staff has baggage tags available if you need them.
- Amtrak Cascades checked baggage service is available at: Albany, Bellingham, Centralia, Edmonds, Eugene, Everett, Portland, Salem, Seattle, Tacoma, Vancouver, B.C.*, and Vancouver, WA. If you are checking baggage, please arrive at the station 45 minutes early.
*If you are checking baggage in Vancouver, B.C., please arrive one hour in advance.
- Checked baggage service is available during hours of operation at staffed stations. Visit the Stations page for your specific station hours. Free "Red Cap" service is available to help with your bags in Seattle and Portland.
- Checked baggage is not available at Olympia, Tukwila, Kelso, Ocean City, or Stanwood stations.
Make a reservation for both you and your bike aboard Amtrak Cascades. There are two options for bringing your bike – you can use one of our onboard bike racks, or box your bicycle and check it as baggage.
Ten bike racks are available on each Amtrak Cascades train. Bike racks are very popular and reservations are required. The cost for reserving space in the bike rack is $5. Bicycle racks will not accommodate tandem, recumbent or other unusual bikes. Such bikes must be transported as checked baggage in a box.
Boxed bicycles do not require a reservation and can be checked as baggage. There is a $10 handling fee for checking a boxed bike. (This is subject to change without notice.) Not all stations have checked baggage service, and baggage service may not be available every day. Don't have a bicycle box? Bicycle boxes are available for purchase for $15 at staffed Amtrak stations with checked baggage service. Bicycles usually must be partially disassembled. For details regarding boxing your bicycle, on general information bringing bicycles onboard, please visit Amtrak.com
Special items such as sports equipment, strollers, etc. are allowed on the train. Amtrak accepts a number of special items such as baby strollers, golf bags, musical instruments, snowboards, and skis (one board or set per bag/container).
Special items (such as skis, golf bags and surfboards) must be properly packed and visibly tagged.
In most cases there is a handling charge of $10 to $20 per special item. Contact 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) for more information.
Firearms and Ammunitions
Amtrak allows firearms and ammunition to be checked as luggage between staffed stations. Carry-on firearms and ammunition are prohibited. Visit Amtrak.com or more information about firearms in checked baggage.
items not allowed on the trains
The following kinds of items are prohibited as both checked and carry-on baggage:
- Incendiaries, including flammable gases, liquids, and fuels.
- Large, sharp objects such as axes, ice picks, and swords.
- Corrosive or dangerous chemicals or materials, such as liquid bleach, tear gas, mace, radioactive and harmful bacteriological materials.
- Batteries with acid that can spill or leak (except those batteries used in motorized wheelchairs or similar devices for mobility-impaired passengers).
- Club-like items, such as billy clubs and nightsticks.
- Fragile and/or valuable items, including but not limited to electronic equipment. (Laptop computers and handheld devices may be carried onboard; however, Amtrak accepts no liability for damage.)
- Animals (except service animals).
- Oversized or overweight items.
- Consumption of personal alcohol is strictly forbidden.
Please note: This is not an exhaustive list. Any item similar to those listed, even if not specifically mentioned here, is prohibited from being carried onboard or checked as baggage.
Lost and Found
Reports for lost or misplaced items left on trains or in stations must be submitted within 30 days of travel. For best results, submit your report at your arrival station; otherwise, call Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
When reporting a lost item, please have the following information ready:
- A thourough description of the lost item, including a description of the size, color, brand, condition and any other distinguishing features.
- Your date or dates of travel.
- Your departure and arrival stations.
- Your trains names and numbers.